Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Living la vida loca

Someone asked me about my everyday life. Well here it goes...

I have AC in the house. In every room actually. Each room as a remote control. We only use it in the living room and bedroom. Sometimes in the kitchen. They are needed here no matter what day it is. It neat to have a remote to change the temp up or down. I used the timer feature yesterday in the living room. It came on 20 minutes before I got home and was nice and cool.

The houses are made of concrete and there is tile everywhere! We do have some carpets int he bedrooms and dinning room (but we don't use that room). I have a couple of runners in the hallways on top of the marble tile. I guess its easy to clean then carpet.


TV is below par here. We have a satellite dish and it broadcasts English stations out of South Africa. There are a lot if movie channels (about 5) about 25 sports channels, 1 series channel (knigh rider, NYPD Blue, some soaps, even queer eye!) 1 CNN Internationl, BBC, SKyNews (UK) Discovery, Travel, Fashion, MTV, VH1 (all out of UK). The shows are about 3 years old compared to the US.
And normally they don't show many commercials either. So programs will last about 20 minutes and another one will start. Sometimes they will start movies at 6:20 or something like that. Really weird.

The things I could do if I had some money and could buy a few satellites! I would be king of the airwaves!

You know you are not in the USA, but people are pretty nice so far. I have only had one person ask me for money. Claimed his car was broken. Lots of dust/dirt not many sidewalks, and people walk everwhere.

Anyone with a little money has a concrete fence around their property and those with more money have electric fences on top of that wall (such as me). I have bars on all doors, and windows. Also we have an alarm system in the house, a rent-a-cop force that comes by every hour (but are worthless in my opinion) and I have a 3 phones (one house phone and 2 mobiles)and a radio (walkie-talkie type) that I can use. I think its over kill, but as history has shown us you don't need them till you need them.

Oh and the fun part is we driver on the left hand side of the road. I am over getting into the car and reaching to the left for the seatbelt (its on the right). And I still turn to the right (instead of the left) when backing up. The gas, break, and clutch pedals are the same though.
Don't know what gas cost yet because I haven't bought any.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home