Friday, November 05, 2004

No fanfare or parade

I have arrived. There was no fanfare or parade in my honor when I arrived. Not that I was expecting any, but it would have been nice. The airport was actually smaller then the one in Bozeman, MT where I use to live. The only planes that I saw when I cam in where propeller planes.

I am now living in Gaborone, Botswana (promounced Haborne, but referred to as Gabs). After 7 months in Washington DC area and a rather mild summer there, I have come to southern Africa for another summer.

A friend started his blogg an I thought what the heck. It will be better then sending out a long email to everyone and clogging up their inbox. Not to mention I average about 41kps for an internet connection. (that's slower then most dialups!)

There are two things that strike me different or I was expecting before I got here.
1. There is a lot of dust. Not much grass and lots of dirt paths. For the most part there are not many sidewalks. Which brings me to part 2
2. About 50% of the people walk all over the place. Mostly on the side of the road or in the middle of your lane. When they see a car come, they usually get out of the way.

Since I have to drive on the left hand side of the road it has taken some time to get use to. I still turn and look over the wrong shoulder when backing up, and remembering to look left, right, left is always fun!! But as long as there are cars on the road I can do just fine. Mostly because I follow them.

The average temp is about 85-95 now. And summer goes into full swing about Dec-Jan time frame.

Most interesting thing I have eaten so far is a wrap with potato salad in it. Oh and don't go ordering anything with out asking how spicy it is. I went to lunch the other day and almost died because of the "medium" spice!

The locals are friendly and generally seem fine. They were interested in who won the Election in the US mostly because of the funding and research that is done on HIV.

Botswana has about 1.2-1.5 million people. It's the size of Texas and about 40% of the people are HIV positive. There are huge campains out there to help people, drive awareness of it, and research cures for it.

Theresa is working for BOTUSA which is a joint venture of the Botswanian Government and the US CDC. She works as an applications developer.

Hopefully my Airbags will get here soon, and my household effects (with my power tools) will get here mid Decemeber.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home